Greetings,

My apologies if I posted this twice, I accidentally used another
e-mail for the first attempt.

I have a handful of Compaq 6200 Mini tower slim chassis (i5, 3.1 ghz)
that I'm trying to boot from a Linux thumb drive but none will boot.
Has anyone used these before with USB booting?

The thumb drive is USB3, however it works fine on all other systems,
including USB2 only older Core2 systems. In fact, I can even boot Macs
just fine using Plop boot CD (permits booting of USB from CD). So,
it's definitely not the thumb drive or OS (also have proper hook for
block devices is compiled in the kernel image).

I tried using a powered USB hub as well, and Plop boot CD in these
machines but it won't see the drive either way. The BIOS is set up to
allow booting from USB. When I boot to the start up menu, it doesn't
see the USB drive at all (have tried front and back ports). It's like
it doesn't exist until Windows boots. The drive has a light and it
lights up during POST, so it's getting some power. When I boot into
Windows it sees the drive just fine.

BIOS firmware is up to date, it uses American Megatrends firmware with
HP branding on it.

Any thoughts? Seems silly that these not so old workstations won't
boot to USB...

--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
Jeremy.MountainJohnson at gmail.com