There are terminal apps you can install, and there may even be emacs you
can install without rooting.

That said, there are several distrobutions of a more standard Linux that
you can install if you have root. They basically run as an application in
the background, and you can VNC into them for a touch screen linux
experience. It's much like using VMware on a PC -- but since the Android
kernel is a Linux kernel, the guest Linux installs can share the running
kernel.

It behaves to the user like a VMware install, but acts more like a chroot
with GUI.

http://linuxonandroid.org/ for more information.

To confuse the issue, while you can install Ubuntu that way, Ubuntu for
Android is an entirely different beast -- Cannoical is creating a Ubuntu
version that will run on android, and is geared towards giving a Linux
experience when the device is plugged into peripherals. My impression was
it was to be installed by the OEM, and would trigger a Linux desktop to
start when plugged into a webtop (http://tinyurl.com/af6t4cf image for the
curious) -- but it was my impression that that hardware was dying...

Jeff