On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Robert Nesius <nesius at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Andrew Dahl <droidjd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting note regarding companies hiring overseas. My brother-in-law's
>> employer has started to shift from hiring people in India to hiring people
>> here, citing the ROI as the reason.
>>

> A lot of companies have found the increased overhead/supervision to make
> sure the low-rent overseas talent produces offsets the savings by going
> overseas.
>
> -Rob
>
> That and due to recent government regulation in India, it's becoming a
much more expensive route.  That was their primary reason for doing it
(citing the ROI was going down due to these increased costs imposed by
their government -- kind of left that part out... slipped my mind at the
time ;)).

But, some companies do have good results.  My last employer had a large
team in India, which we'd offload work onto and check in on occasion.
 Given the lack of supervision, I was quite impressed. -- Another branch of
the company had over 14,000 workers in India that were used for R&D.  They
were able to do some very awesome stuff in short periods.

So, now that I'm done rambling... I think the larger companies (60,000+
employees) have less of a problem with overhead/supervision because they're
able to setup a large presence there and it becomes more cost effective
(plus, they've the resources to deal with the overhead and I doubt they'd
be finding 14,000 people here too easily, thus it starts to become a
required move).  On the converse. smaller companies have more trouble
because they do run into huge barriers with supervision and management with
much smaller numbers.

My opinion, of course. -- I've only had to deal with large teams overseas
at employers with 100,000+ employees.  My current employer employs a small
handful of people around the world, but it's a whole lot easier to manage
stateside when it's only one or two per country.

And I've had the pleasure of dealing with /very/ small companies who built
software strictly through companies that outsource the work to offshore
developers... overall, that's been the only bad experience so far.

-Andrew