On Sat, 9 Feb 2013, B-o-B De Mars wrote:

> On 2/9/2013 8:03 AM, Wayne Johnson wrote::
>
>> A few years ago, I was looking for a new position at the MN Job Corps.
>> I found several that sounded interesting so I printed them out and took
>> them to the advisor.  He told me that he "could just tell", because of
>> the very specific job requirements, that these were written by a
>> company that already had a H-1B candidate and had written them so they
>> could say that they couldn't find anyone else with these specific
>> requirements. He said it happens all the time.
>>
>> I still see these pop up in the jobs lists.
>
> A similar situation happened to me about 12 years ago @ the U of M.  I
> applied for a job, had 3 interviews, thought it was a slam dunk, and
> then nothing.  I had a friend who worked in the department so I asked
> her what happened.  She said that even though I was the most qualified
> for the job, and they liked me a lot, they ended up with someone else
> (who had almost zero experience).  She explained that they would have
> had to fill out a lot of extra paperwork for the powers that be
> explaining (justifying) why on earth they would have hired a white
> American male with skills versus a poor minority woman with none.  For
> them it was the path of least resistance to fill the position based on
> the rules of the game over there & I get that.  At that time this really
> made me mad, but I ended up with a much better job in the end (where I
> still work today) so it was a story with a happy ending.

I thought you were going to say that they had an internal candidate.
That is very common at universities.  The problem is that they have a
silly rule that for certain jobs we must post advertisements in
newspapers.  The problem is that an internal candidate is often ipso-facto
superior to any possible external candidate because they want someone who
can do what that internal candidate just spent two years doing, and
designing and developing -- no one in the world can possibly do it as
well.  So they really shouldn't post it, I guess, but it does give people
an opportunity to meet in job interviews, which accomplishes something.

> Do corporations completely migrate their infrastructure away from
> mainframes? You're Fired!

Isn't that *the* classic FUD?:  "No one ever got fired for choosing IBM!"

Mike