Thanks for the tip on mplayer.  It didn't work, either.

I found later that I had a message from YouTube telling me that I had 48
hours to watch the movie.  But after restarting my computer, when I go
back to YouTube, it doesn't seem to remember that I paid $5.  Oh well.

If I can get the downloaded file to work, that would solve my problem.

It's funny that I can play the downloaded 1080p HD video of Baraka, but
the .mov videos made by my Canon camera won't play - they play slowly in
mplayer and they just hang in VLC, but the audio plays normally in both.
Mplayer tells me that my system is too slow.  This is all I've got:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 79
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2411.275
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm svm extapic
cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 4822.55
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

It's not a big deal for me to replace that, so I guess I'll be doing that.
I'm surprised that I have only a single core and I'm wondering why the
heck I bought that mobo just a couple of years ago!  I have 4 GB of RAM.

I'm sure it's a pretty good dual-DVI video card.

I do stuff like this all the time (these things simultaneously):

(1) play a DVD ISO on one monitor
(2) do VNCviewer on a second monitor
(3) serve a DVD ISO over the network to VLC on another machine

So I thought it could handle things but I guess it breaks down with a .MOV
file that seems to use about 375 MB of disc space per minute of video.
It's amazing that the camera has no problem playing the video, but the
computer can't handle it.  Am I doing something wrong?

Mike