Very nice.

Several years ago when the vesa2 directly addressable framebuffer first
became available I made a similar effort with FreePascal. I didn't do
anything close to as nice as your screenshot. But it was fun
constructing a screen array and writing it to the /dev/fb0. I remember
Thomas Dickey, the great maintainer of NCurses, lynx, xterm, and other
text applications, surprised by framebuffer capabilities.

I've never looked at SDL, but I think there are other framebuffer
windowing toolkits like it.

Another fun thing on the console is to write control characters (man
console_codes) to the virtual terminal, which is all NCurses really does.

I won't encourage FreePascal, but I like it because I can read it. C
variants always looked like chicken scratches to me. With FreePascal
they import headers from C libraries to use a lot of existing code.
FreePascal has a big sister, Ada.

I do think it is a good idea to find alternatives to X for uses like you
describe. My recent opensuse 12.2 install removed a lot of non-plug and
play X support. Nobody can figure out how to use a serial port mouse
anymore, among many other changes.

Keep us posted.