On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 07:48:25AM -0800, Ubu Sumner wrote:
> "....Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar's legislation to increase H-1B
> visas and green card quotas is welcome and will help the U.S.
> economy. The jobs that are offered will only be located where there
> are not sufficient qualified local citizens...."

Businesses will go whether the costs are lower, so they will either
lower costs here or go to China, India, Vietnam in search for cheaper
workforce.

The same force propels people to migrate wherever more resources (or
Maslow's "needs") are available for them and their families.

> Today in the New York Times:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/opinion/americas-genius-glut.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130208
>
> "....Bringing over more — there are already 500,000 workers on
> H-1B visas — would obviously darken job prospects for America’s
> struggling young scientists and engineers. But it would also hurt
> our efforts to produce more: if the message to American students is,
> “Don’t bother working hard for a high-tech degree, because we can
> import someone to do the job for less,” we could do significant
> long-term damage to the high-tech educational system we value so
> dearly.

Those scientists have to compete in the global talent pool anyway.

Best,
florin

--
Beware of software written by optimists!