> I accidentally pulled the cable connecting this
> server to our FC network, effectively pulling its storage subsystem out from
> under its feet.
>
> I re-patched that cable, then pulled up this server's console, fully
> expecting to see a kernel panic. Instead of seeing that, I saw what appeared
> to be a completely functional system.

Often times if the OS is booting from SAN they will do this.  In
Windows, you can leave it in that state for days and it will come
right back.  Linux on the other hand will eventually run itself out of
memory and slowly die.  If you're booting locally but using SAN
attached volumes, it'll probably panic if it needs that particular
file system.

One of my favorite demonstrations was running I/O against a storage
system, shutting down the storage, waiting 10 minutes, bring it back
up and the OS has no idea the SAN was down.  Pretty resilient stuff.

Brian