Try a minimal Debian installation.  When the installer gives you a list of meta-packages to install (like the desktop packages, laptop packages, server packages, etc.), do not install ANY of them.  This gives you the most minimal Debian installation possible.  Then you can add/enable services one by one.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>