Ugh.

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Ryan Coleman wrote:

> Well... How about the extra libraries that eat up space?

Like a subset of us keep saying, NO OPERATING SYSTEM will install a
perfect OS for you out of the box. You may as well get used to it and
write up some hardening scripts that will stop services you don't want and
remove packages you don't need. Hell, next thing you'll complain that the
default OS install doesn't populate hosts.allow and hosts.deny for you and
doesn't populate the iptables/whatever firewall ruleset.

You need to KNOW YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM and customise it for your needs.

I use Ubuntu Server on my servers. I have for years. What does that mean?
It means I can harden those guys in my sleep, is what it means. It does
NOT mean they install a perfect OS.