I just purchased the 32 bit 7 DVD opensuse distro (1 install + 6
repository discs) from OSDisc.com. Tried it on one PC and after a mess
up getting better on a re-install.

I like the 6 repository DVDs on the computer to avoid the enormous
internet use ( 6 months worth ) on my rural limited internet. Those with
good connections probably want different.

The problem with any distro is the generic kernel and features installed
to work on the most systems. So the initial bloat needs to be trimmed.
That is where I messed up with the KDE plasma desktop.

But the repository has several compiled kernels and several kernel
sources. And I think the suse configuration tool Yast is extremely
helpful. There is a lot to learn now when configuring your own kernel.

What I like most about opensuse is that they haven't dumbed down the
product. For example, there are now several very sophisticated protein
molecular dynamics 3D packages in the repository. At least a dozen
programming languages from scripting to assembly on microcontrollers.

One important difference between Linux and BSD was important in kernel
features, thus system calls. Another important problem with the DVD set
is most program sources are still online. But for those of us simply
using header declaration files or kernel sources, all development files
exist for the kernel and most other key packages.

As for all the services, there is a way to manage that to your liking in
Yast.

On the whole, I'm finding opensuse 12.2 includes more and better tools
to manage the crazy excess capabilities of KDE. While still giving me
the rock solid IceWM. I'm a new fan of Xfce, too.

All this with no sound, or internet connection, on a 10 year old p4,
with years of fun learning to do. What a gift to computing enthusiasts!!