I don't use, nor have I ever used it, but I'd be inclined to recommend
FreeBSD. What I know about it, I've learned through friends that range from
users to developers.

Personally, I'd just disable what I didn't need in Fedora and build a
custom kernel, if I needed a really lean system. (Needless to say, I love
me some Fedora)

Good luck in your search.

-Andrew