On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:

> Bacula VM with NFS mounted drives.

Negative, captain. :)

Bacula has gone rogue[1]. Check into Bareos, which is a 100% F/OSS fork of
Bacula.

That said, if I were building a backup server now, it would likely be a
FreeBSD box w/ a big 'ol ZFS filesystem. I'd rsync my various servers into
folders on the backup server and then take a ZFS snapshot after each rsync.
This achieves something similar to what you'd get with rsnapshot, but with
the advantage of being able to use the more advanced features of ZFS:
end-to-end data verification and healing (bit rot detection), snapshots,
zfs send/receive (quite useful for when you want to ship your backups
offsite), compression, etc.

-Erik

[1] http://www.bareos.org/en/faq/items/why_fork.html