On 12/10/2013 11:08 PM, tclug at freakzilla.com wrote:

> The device is probably /dev/dvd or /dev/sr0.
>
> You can tell what DVD size you need by looking at the file size for
> that Ubuntu dist, but you can probably install from a USB drive. Saves
> you a DVD.
>
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> Hello:  Have an old desktop with ubuntu 12.04 currently.  Want to
>> figure out what my dvd device is, and how big a dvd I need to burn
>> ubuntu 12.10 to replace 12.04.  Any advice appreciated.
>> Tom

I get this line when I run: sudo lshw
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd

I would like to figure out what dvd to buy, e.g., dvd +R or some other ?

I plan to download .iso image from ubuntu web site, then burn that to a
dvd, then insert in dvd drive, and start up with cdrom option. Does that
make sense?
Tom