I guess, what I was saying might not have been clear.

If you used *rotatelogs* (or something to rotate the logs), wouldn't that
move *some_log_file.log* to *some_log_file.log.1* and recreate
*some_log_file.log?*
Then your scripts could remove *some_log_file.log.1*, which would create a
new file descriptor that references the newly created inode for
*some_log_file.log.*
When you delete *some_log_file.log.1* wouldn't that free up that file
descriptor and the inode which was referenced?
Wouldn't this force an update of the available inodes in the file table?

Using *rotatelogs or *Apache's *graceful* restart option should be
different than just running  *$ :> some_log_file.log *or* $ cat /dev/null >
some_log_file.log*,
as both of those options retain the current inode in use.
However, I'm not entirely certain how either *rotatelogs or *Apache's
*graceful* restart option handles file descriptors/inodes.
I should probably go read some man pages...

Anyone? Am I *way *off in my thinking?

-> Jake