Ha, no worries.  I was actually considering a MacBook prior to making my
purchase.  Ultimately, it depends on what you're looking for.  I actually
got mine for $940 from an individual on eBay who went to Google IO and got
it for free.  Mine's the 64GB ($1,449) model w/ LTE.  Otherwise you can get
the, still overpriced, 32GB Wi-Fi only model for $1,299.

So, you can get a 13" MBP w/ a "retina" display for $1,499 with more
memory, faster CPU, more HDD space, and a /slightly/ smaller screen.  So,
yeah, I *never* would have purchased a Pixel for more than $1,000.

My biggest concerns with getting a MBP was putting Linux on it.  I'm just
really not a fan of the Mac OS (my sister has one and after all these yes,
I still dislike the interface) and so I went to BestBuy and monkeyed with
one for hours using a Live Linux distro... and there were just too many
things that didn't work right or annoyed me about the hardware, and this
was a /year/ after they had released the MBP I was using.  That's the
entire reason why I didn't buy one.  All of the Pixel drivers were included
in the 3.10 kernel, I believe.

Had I not gotten a Pixel, I probably would've waited for the Samsung ATIV
Book 9 Plus, which is looking to be out now for $1,399 with slightly lower
specs (but larger display) than the MBP I outlined above.

At the end of the day, I bought my Pixel several months ago for the
resolution.  My primary monitor at home is 2560x1600, so I wanted a laptop
with a resolution around there that was also very light and portable.  It
works for me, but I'd never recommend buying one for the retail price.

That said, the non-ARM ones that cost <300 are pretty great.  A friend of
mine has two (one x86 for him and one ARM for his fiance) and they're
incredibly useful, especially for the price.  So, I /would/ recommend one
of those.  Drop the Pixel down to $1,000 and I'd recommend it as well.
 With the price as is, get something else.

And, I think I've rambled long enough!

-Andrew