I've played around with the machines I've seen at Costco and many of
them seem cheap. Particularly the keyboards. Soft, bouncy, squishy
keyboards. Also, I keep my eye on screen resolution, particularly on the
least expensive machines. They might have what appears to be a nice 14"
or 15" display but then the resolution maxes out at 1380x768 or so. They
can do so much better. 1400x900 and up is good. I personally can not
stand the glossy reflective displays which so many of the machines have
these days (including, alas, Apple).

My last three Linux machine purchases have all been used Lenovo Thinkpad
machines and I've been absolutely delighted with them. It's clear Lenovo
(formerly IBM) is very much focused on durability, particularly on their
business class machines. And the keyboards are excellent.

They all run Linux just fine for me and appear to be a popular choice
for Linux users in general.

Lenovo has an outlet store with some good deals:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/

I've gotten all three of mine from Craigslist and they've all been fine
performers. I bought a new battery for one and I've been upgrading RAM
and installing SSD drives periodically to give them a little extra bump.

e.g., This machine here looks very nice. Good screen resolution at
1680x1050. Add more RAM perhaps and maybe an SSD or a larger HDD to
replace the 160GB that's in there and you're set. (Although this machine
might be a bit heavy for a student's backpack.)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/sys/4000943841.html

I'm fond of the T series and X series machines. I own an X200 and a
T420s. Both these machines are light and portable while offering ample
performance and features for my needs. The T43 I own is a bit heavier
and very old and past it's prime. It still runs perfectly however and I
use it regularly for light duty stuff.

whj