It's Linux based, yes, although it's based around the Chrome web browser.
 Most of what you do on it is based online.  It's also fairly locked down
by design, so don't expect to install Linux applications directly on the
Chromebook without turning developer mode on and using something like
crouton (look it up on github).

I've never heard of someone installing Windows on a Chromebook (although, I
don't doubt it'd be possible).  I've only put Linux on my own.  It's not as
straightforward as you might hope, but it works.

Ultimately, if your son can't do what he needs to using Linux, a Chromebook
probably isn't the best idea.  Personally, I have a Pixel and I'm in love
with it. (I had to turn developer mode on and modify the startup scripts to
allow for the native resolution of 2560x1700, but that's my only gripe)

-Andrew