"Ironically enough, Microsoft is quicker to respond to complaints
about Windows 8 than Canonical is on complaints about Unity"

Tell that to people (like myself) who have to use IE 10 in Win 8 on a
desktop. They have been ignoring our pleas since beta Win 8 to have IE
10 in Win 8 respect global font anti-aliasing (it never has- they say
this was intentional for the tablet market and they won't fix it). IMO
the market shifts and ebbs and flows, however tablets will not fully
replace desktop computing any time in the near future.

Canonical is like Microsoft, I'll give you that. The whole we don't
give a lot of weight to what our end users want because we think we
know the market and what is best for them is definitely at play for
both. I think it took a few major media outlets and compiled
statistical complaints before MS even considered putting the start
menu you back as a registry item.

For those stuck with Win 8- I recommend Classic Shell (open source).
I'm darn near Win 7 UI with it.

All that said, I hope they do put in a registry switch for the classic
Start menu. I still use Windows for work and occasionally at home-
sometimes there is just no way around that.

--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
Jeremy.MountainJohnson at gmail.com