I share your distaste for Ubuntu, i should point out however that if
you are using dist-upgrade you are probably doing it wrong. Ubuntu is
NOT debian and doing things the debian way is probably not the best
way of doing thing. The command to update and Ubuntu system to the
latest release is using the do-system-upgrade command.

behind the scenes it does indeed do a dist-upgrade, but it does a
little more from what i can tell.