I know the raspberry Pi is picky in regards to power. It needs to be at
least 700 mA (http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware) or you will have strange
crashes. I've been using one with 1A power cable and its been solid.

A class 10 SD card will give you a quicker boot time and r/w performance.

I hear a powered USB Hub is great if you need more than two ports or you
keyboard or mouse are drawing too much power. (Probably crash if it's power
related as previously.)

Not necessary, but I love the cheaper little plastic cases from adafruit.

Also love the Wi-Fi USB adapter, but not necessary unless you are doing
some Wi-Fi projects.

Jason Reynolds

--
jason