On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Gerry wrote:

> strings /proc/$$/environ

That's interesting, but what is it doing differently from printenv?  It is
different...

$ strings /proc/$$/environ > proc.txt ; printenv > printenv.txt

$ cat proc.txt printenv.txt printenv.txt | sort | uniq -c | gawk '$1<3' | perl -pe 's/^ +1 /      proc / ; s/^ +2 /  printenv /'
   printenv OLDPWD=/home/mbmiller
       proc PWD=/home/mbmiller
   printenv PWD=/home/mbmiller/research/data/MCTFR/GEDI/dbgap/final
       proc SHLVL=1
   printenv SHLVL=2
   printenv TERM=rxvt
       proc TERM=xterm
   printenv _=/usr/bin/printenv
       proc _=/usr/bin/vncserver

I am using Xvnc, which seems to have something to do with my particular
results.  My working directory is the one given by printenv and the $TERM
shown by printenv is what I see when I enter "echo $TERM".

Mike