Hi everyone!

My name is Kat. :) I decided that tonight would be a good night to upgrade
to Ubuntu 12.04. I have done upgrades solo before, and haven't had any
issues. The upgrade went fine, right up until the part where I started
getting a bunch of notifications that said the packets were already
installed. I thought maybe that was normal, clicked ok, and went on with
the process.

When I rebooted, I had no menu bars, no terminal, and no internet
connection! Nooooooooo! I am in *way* over my head, and I really hope one
of you fine folks can help me out! I make pretty awesome cookies...

Help me, Obi-Wan Tclug! You are my only hope!

Fingers crossed,
Kat

(PS: Acer Aspire One, model # ZG5, 1.5 GB RAM. Nothing fancy.)