the first and perhaps less interesting circumstance is, opening
certain documents causes libreoffice (and all it's doc windows) to
hang (fail to render or expose) for several minutes, but all other
processes are uninhibited.  is there anything short of diving in with
gdb that might show me something interesting about where it's stuck?

the second, more rare and more disturbing circumstance is, i get hangs
from time to time, eg sometimes a whole minute or longer where new
processes won't launch but existing processes proceed as if the system
was idle.  htop is a nice start.  i can imagine a tool that could tell
me i have this much activity on this ether channel and that much on
that ether channel, this much disc activity on this disc channel and
that much on that disc channel, this process has done this much i/o on
this channel over the last nn seconds, that process has been blocked
for nn seconds waiting for ....  anything like that out there?  what
tools are available that might show me something relevant?