> What do you think of ipv6?  I've read that less than 1%
> of the traffic on the internet is ipv6 traffic.

I think it's a great idea. We could go back to the old peer-to-peer
arpanet architecture. Even set up an independant parallel internet just
for the Twin Cities.

> What baffles me about ipv6 is why they decided to go
> from 4 byte addresses to 16 bytes.  Wouldn't 8 byte
> addresses make more sense?

That would be a big enough address space for all the people, animals,
and plants, but to give virtually everything its own ip address you
might need the full set of 3.4028236692093846346337460743177e+38 addresses.

See here for history and sociology of ip4:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/

especially the appendices.

Ed