Normally, I must get the wifi card to "connect" (ie, grab RF signal
carrier), and then open a browser so I can say OK to yheir intended usage
policy.
After that, IP assigned and it's open... But not until.   The systems are
never "wide open", in my experience.  Most of my experience is at the York
library in Edina.  Haven't tried after hours in several years, but
previously it was the same 24/7 when I tried.

Chuck