On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, gregrwm wrote:

> xtightvncviewer paints the screen right away, ssvncviewer leaves the
> screen black until wherever the mouse is moved, but shows certain
> widgets reliably, where xtightvncviewer only shows said widgets when the
> actual (not virtual) mouse is moved there.  xvnc4viewer seems to suffer
> neither shortcoming.  so all (more or less) compatible with ultravnc
> afterall.

You can also download and use the Enterprise version of the xvnc viewer
for free, but it isn't Free Software.  It's almost the same thing as the
Free version, as far as I can tell, but there are a couple of little
tweaks in the Enterprise version that I like.

UltraVNC allows for some kinds of encryption.  Can the xvnc4viewer be used
with the encryption, or do you just have to run UltraVNC unencrypted?  I
usually use Xvnc with -localhost and then use ssh portforwarding to create
an SSH tunnel to connect through, but I'm not sure of how to do that when
the VNC server is running on Windows.

Mike