What kind of hardware are you working with? Perhaps these VLC packages
are by default configured to use hardware encoding and more work is
needed to get it working (whether it be with VLC or a driver / library
issue with your video card).

On another note, LMDE has been great. I haven't yet fully installed it
(been using the live iso), but I can attest that rolling releases have
their perks (been using Arch Linux for about 10 years) for keeping
things up to date and more streamlined. However, my personal
preference would be to figure out what the problem is first before
hopping distros- VLC is still VLC, pre-configured and sometimes
patched differently depending on the distro being used.

Feel free to post more insight on the hardware on TCLUG, others might
have had the same issue- I'd also check the community forum for Mint,
they are very helpful with problems and I have solved a few quickly by
searching without having to make a new thread.

Good luck,

Jay