On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> A friend is offering me an HTC Sense for $40.  On Google Shopping, the cheapest tablet PCs sell for $50-$80, and the most expensive ones sell for $500-$800.

I'd check into that phone further.  HTC Sense isn't a phone, it's
HTC's UI.  If it's actually a Sensation, that's probably a decent deal
because it's not to old of a phone.  In fact, if it is a Sensation and
you don't want it, send him my way!

I would say look for something that is easily rootable and with a
decent AOSP ROM, or just a Nexus device. (google is your friend, and
pay attention to the carrier, as sometimes the process will be
different for different phones with the same name, such as the Samsung
Galaxy SII)  Also, you may want to develop for a slightly older
version of Android, as I think 2.2 is still a very commonly used
version, and 2.3 is the most common.  4.0 is just a sliver of the
market at this point, so if you develop specifically for 4.0 you're
blocking a significant portion of the market.
Don't believe me:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/3/2922581/android-usage-stats-gingerbread-ice-cream-sandwich
A little bit may have changed in the last 1.5 months, but probably not
TOO much.
- Justin