My best guess is that one (or more) of the files still has an open file handle.  If you rm a file that is open my another process, it simply removes the directory entry but leaves the inode (the actual pointer to the file space) around.  When the other user closes the file, it gets deleted.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis