On Thu, 10 May 2012, Mike Miller wrote:

> What is the attraction of the iPad, anyway?

Whoa, how did we get to THAT? (:

Disclaimer: I don't have an iPad. I do, however, have an HP Touchpad and
an Amazon Kindle, both of which are running the latest version of Android,
both of which - put together - cost less than half of what an iPad does.
And I woudln't have got either of them without the huge discounts I
managed to get.

I think tablets are good for... less-interactive computing than a, you
know, real computer. Yeah, you touchthem and move stuff around, but I
wouldn't want to type anything longer than a really short email on them.
Although considering how good voice recognition is getting on Android it
may well be an option soonish.

However, I can't use a netbook for anything serious, either. Even if it's
"just" typing. First of all, the keyboard is just too small. It's like a
toy keyboard. Second, the screen is too small. It's like a toy screen.
Netbooks are like toy computers. So are tablets, really.

Now I'm not saying nobody should have a netbook, and I'm CERTAINLY not
saying people shouldn't put Ubuntu or whatever Linux they want on any
device they have! I've just heard the whole This Is The Year Of Linux On
The Desktop thing soooo many times...

-Yaron