Just thought I should resend with the right subject line...

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Mike Miller wrote:

> (1) Hibernate.  Just did it, it works, it used to die and require
> reboot. Suspend always worked and still does.

There was an additional annoyance:  12.04 doesn't have hibernate available
in menus by default.  To run the hibernate process I had to launch
pm-hibernate from the command line like so:

sudo pm-hibernate

I did that, it worked and everything came back on restart, but I didn't
have to enter a password.

I want the usual shutdown/suspend menus to include "hibernate" as an
option, so I googled a bit and found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754/how-to-enable-hibernation-in-12-04

The instruction there is to place this text...

[Re-enable hibernate by default]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultActive=yes

...into this file:

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

I did that, restarted, the menus then had "hibernate" as an option (both
the menu in the upper right of the Unity desktop and the one that appers
when I press the power button).

I tested the hibernate menu option.  It worked.  When Ubuntu came back it
made me log in to get back to my open windows, which is the correct
behavior, I would say, but I guess pm-hibernate doesn't do that (I tried
it again and the behavior was the same).

Hibernate is a killer feature with this laptop because it his great
battery life.  It can suspend for days, but it can hibernate a lot longer.
It comes back pretty quickly from hibernation, so I'm setting it to
hibernate when I close the lid:

(1) click the battery icon on the upper bar
(2) choose power settings
(3) set them how you want them

For me, I chose "Hibernate" both for "When power is critically low" and
"When the lid is closed."  I also tested it by closing the lid, it
hibernated and came back up (with password screen).

So far, so good.

Mike