Vyom,

You will have more luck having your questions answered by posting to
the Twin Cities Linux User's Group mailing list (CC'd above).

However, in order to get the best answers in the shortest amount of
time, you need to be more precise in describing what problems you
encounter.  Read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
for a guide.

For instance, you wrote
> When I boot the CD that I got with my book, it does not do anything to
> my computer.

That is not clear and nobody can help you with that.  You should try
to rephrase it as:

   I have performed the following steps:
      1. powered on the computer
      2. while the computer was POST-ing, I opened the CD tray and
         loaded the Ubuntu disc
      3. waited for the OS to boot
   I was expecting that:
      1. Ubuntu boots and I get a login screen
   I have observed that:
      1. Windows Vista loaded and I got a login screen

Best,
florin

----- Forwarded message from Pamela Vold <vold at cs.umn.edu> -----