On May 8, 2012, at 2:08 AM, Robert Nesius <nesius at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2012, Robert Nesius wrote:
>
> Perhaps my memory is fuzzy, but I had thought you had created to small partitions named boot or /boot that were outside of the raid for the sole purpose of giving your bootloader a home that your BIOS can deal with.  So, I'm not surprised you don't see it when you run df, as I'm guessing you haven't added that little partition to your fstab?
>
> I'm just trying to helpfully brainstorm. :)
>
> Aha!  That makes sense.  So it isn't being mounted.  I'll study this further.  Does it have to be mounted for kernel upgrades to work properly?
>

> No - I don't think it does.  When you upgrade your kernel, your boot-loader configs should get updated automagically.
>
> -Rob

What!?!?

How can the kernel upgrade process put the new kernel in the correct /boot partition if it isn't mounted?

What I suspect is that the upgrade process might (silently?) create a /boot directory in the RAID-ed / which would not be useful because the BIOS might not be able to see into it. If you have a separate partition for /boot then you would want the /boot mount point directory to exist AND be empty on the RAID-ed / partition.

That said, I thought that GRUB (grub2?) had been updated so that non-RAID /boot partitions were no longer required.

Thomas