On Sun, 6 May 2012, Max Shinn wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2012 03:45:30 -0500 (CDT) Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was using "sudo synaptic" to get that error, but if I use simply
>> "synaptic", then it runs, but it notes that I do not have root
>> permissions.
>
> I always use gksudo or kdesudo when starting graphical applications as
> root.  Maybe just using "sudo" could have been part of the problem?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo

That's a good guess, and there were a lot of suggestions about gksu and
gksudo on the Ubuntu pages when I looked for solutions, but that didn't
help at all.  It was always the same error with any of these commands:

sudo synaptic
gksudo synaptic
gksu synaptic

Or with this too:

sudo su -
synaptic

Nothing worked, but rebooting solved the problem immediately.  There must
have been something a little off in one of the packages I installed and it
didn't tell me I had to reboot, probably because it wasn't supposed to
require a reboot.  After rebooting, this works fine:

sudo synaptic

Mike