> Would you be able to provide any additional information on how you are
> capturing video with cat?  If this information would not be pertinent
> to other members of the list we could take the discussion offline.

Currently I am using IVTV to set the capture source on my TV tuner to
the composite input. After that a simple "cat /dev/video0 > capture.mpg
dumps the video to a file. There are a lot of paramaters you can set
with IVTV, such as bit rate, video size, etc..., but I am just using the
defaults for now. After that, I use ffmpeg, Kino, or both to transcode
and trim the video. I have a bunch of VHS tapes I need to copy over to
digital and this is a pretty easy way to get the job done.