In my build notes for my laptop, I have the following for thinkfan:

# Turn on sensors
sudo apt-get install lm_sensors
sudo sensors-detect
# Say "yes" to everything

# Install fan control
sudo apt-get install thinkfan
vi /etc/default/thinkfan
# Set "START" to "yes"
# Under "#sensor ...", add:
# sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp1_input
# sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input
# sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
# sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp4_input
# sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp5_input
# sensor /sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input
# sensor /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
echo 'options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1' > /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf

Basically, let the kernel load it as a module and use the lm_sensors hook
to make sure that it runs properly.

-Josh More