http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07147

The Test 2 release of antiX Linux M12 is now available.  LibreOffice has replaced AbiWord and Gnumeric, and Asian fonts have been removed.  I also noticed that the ISO files are now available on SourceForge.  I wonder if Swift Linux influenced these changes.

I consider influence to be one measure of success of a Linux distro.  The live CD feature of Knoppix influenced other distros to offer it as well, and only a few distros today lack this feature.  While Ubuntu has spawned many derivatives (including Linux Mint, which has effectively taken its place in the Linux market), I'm sure it has also influenced many more.

Even though I'm transforming Swift Linux from an antiX base to a Linux Mint Debian Edition base, the influence of antiX Linux will remain.  Examples include IceWM, ROX pinboard, and configuration scripts.

I hope to one day have competitors claiming to be better than Swift Linux, because that would mean that my distro is a big hit.  Groups like FreeGeek would have several great options for working with 10-year-old computers.  This would be a big boon for reducing e-waste AND bridging the digital divide.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>