> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:06:10AM -0800, Olwe Bottorff wrote:
>>  On a hunch, I checked the Device MAC address . . . and yes, we have
>>  a match! That is to say, cloning the drive was just too efficient and
>>  now the new machine (with the cloned drive) thinks its MAC is the old
>>  machine's MAC. So how do I detect the real MAC address on my new
> machine
>>  and get Linux to see it? Or am I not correct in thinking each machine
>>  must have a unique MAC address?
>
> Boot a rescue distribution (to avoid some local scripts setting up a
> MAC) and run 'ifconfig -a'.
>
> Cheers,
> florin

If I boot into the Ubuntu install CD (in my case USB drive), it should immediately pick up the hardware MAC for the Wireless, right? By the time the "Try" "Install" screen comes along it should see Wifi and want, e.g., a password, right? If it doesn't see Wifi, then it's not an issue of the cloned drive carrying over bad kernel-level info, right?

Olwe