I've had a couple of private replies, so answering this on the thread.

"Why am I doing this"?  Because I have 2 Fedora servers and a few services
occasionally send email.  Those forwards are going to my gmail address.
 gmail is not allowing them through most of the time as it looks like relay
attempts (a la spam approach).  I am not running my own email processing
with it.

Why sendmail vs [other product]?  Only because sendmail was already
configured and running with default distro, and running flawlessly for
about 15 years.  This problem only occurred because of recent switch of
ISPs (for speed).  Previous awesome ISP must have configured this behind
the scenes.
Is it really worth the effort to change to something else (2 people's "any
advice appreciated" is "switch to postfix") that is not installed and
working?  And if so, is the recipe to accomplish what my real goal is
readily available?  That's what really matters... not which product I use.