I haven't had that happen, but I did have a problem with a laptop where
fonts would degrade and I think it was because of bad RAM.  I recommend a
RAM test.  Maybe some of the memory that is rarely used -- only when you
really need it -- is bad and causing the problem.  This seems like a good
test:

http://lifehacker.com/5531900/use-an-ubuntu-live-cd-to-test-your-pcs-memory

Mike