I had somehow accidentally created two copies of the group "staff", one
with gid 50 and another with gid 1000.  So I wanted to get rid of the one
with gid 1000 and change everyone over to the group with gid 50.

When I edited /etc/passwd, I changed every :1000: to :50: because when I
looked at the file I thought they were all groups, but it turns out that
exactly one was not -- it was my uid.  So I changed my record in the
passwd file such that my uid is now 50 instead of 1000, but I am logged in
as 1000, which no longer exists.  So when I try to sudo, it won't let me,
always saying:

sudo: unknown uid: 1000

I suppose I can boot to Live CD and change the /etc/passwd file
appropriately.  Is there any easier way to do it?

If the LiveCD is the only way to go ... I'm using a RAID1 on this system.
Is it possible to properly edit files on the RAID from the LiveCD?  Is the
best way to mount both devices and make identical changes to both?

Mike