On 5/31/2012 3:56 AM, Craig Rosenblum cried from the depths of the abyss:

> Now All i want is to setup http://localhost:8082 or any other unused
> port number to point to a new folder i have.
>
> I have 3 partitions on my main hard drive, and in one of those
> partitions is a www folder, where i plan to keep all centralized
> websites that i ever worked on, or plan to work on.

I was thinking about this, and I think you are over complicating things.

Forget about Virtual Hosts.  If all you are trying to do is have a
repository of different sites that you can look at locally try this:

Start over - Remove apache (and I mean remove it - all traces).

Reinstall Apache.  You are forbidden from using webmin this time!

manually edit httpd.conf (or apache2.conf - or whatever they are calling
it).

Change this:

Listen 80   to    Listen 8082 (or whatever port you want)

Take note of the stock install Document root location  ie:
/srv/httpd/htdocs or /var/www/html or whatever      This is going to be
you homebase.

Also, make sure the Doc root has Options Indexes.

Fire-Up Apache. Make sure it is working on port 8082 (or whatever you
picked)

Feel free to put your sites in directories in your /home or where ever.
  This doesn't matter.

Then just create symlink from your sites into your apaches doc root.

ie: your site is in /home/craig/ebay

create a link like  (ln -s /path/to/src /pat/to/destination)

ln -s /home/craig/ebay /var/www/htdocs/ebay

This is easiest.  Then when you goto localhost:8082 you will see
directories for each site.  Click the siteyou want & whalah.

This is what I would do in your situation.

Good Luck!

Mr. B-o-B