I haven't tried this with localhost before. Try adding another alias to the
machine in /etc/hosts and using that?  Looks like apache is having a hard
time working backwards from the loopback ip to a hostname to match against
your rule.  Hmm - come to think of it I think all of my VirtualHosts are in
fact FQDNs, not singleton hostnames.

-Rob