On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 11:32:39AM -0500, Thomas Lunde wrote:
> 2.  I'm also very interested in iSCSI vs. samba as I'm about to set up
> a dedicated ZFS on FreeBSD box as an appliance and am thinking of how
> to share that NAS to Linux boxen & Windows VMs.
>
> (I'd prefer to use Linux, but btrfs doesn't seem quite ready for prime
> time & ZFS on Linux is hobbled by licensing problems. With 2T drives,
> the probability of in-flight corruption and long rebuild times on
> RAID-5 are pushing me to raidz2 for a 6-8 drive array. )

After pulling my hair for two years (didn't have time to refactor my
storage server, so I just tried to tweak samba and read all kinds of
articles about DIY NAS) I decided to just throw some money at the
problem - I have bought a Synology DS412+ which should arrive Monday.
It doesn't have the smart scrubbing of ZFS, but I'll implement that
with a cron job that computes and compares file checksums, plus backup
on an external drive.

Note that ZFS is fine, but the CIFS performance in Solaris is not much
better than stock Samba on Linux.  Also, there seems to be a lot of
lack of focus in the small community built around the former
OpenSolaris:  Illumos, Illumian, OpenIndiana, SmartOS, Nexenta Core.
None of them seem to have gotten enough traction, not even at a
OpenBSD level.  I hope they build some momentum, but an excellent file
system is not enough to compensate for the lack of drivers and the
quirkiness of the OS (although the latter is mitigated by employing
the GNU userland tools).

If I feel so inclined I'll install Illumian on the same disk and run
the same workload, to see how Linux/Samba compares with OpenSolaris
kernel.

Cheers,
florin

--
Beware of software written by optimists!