On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:04:00AM -0500, Brian wrote:
> > This months PenguinsUnbound.com meeting will be
> > Saturday July 28th at TIES,
> > 1667 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul, MN 55108
> > from 10:00am to 12:00pm
> > (See the web site http://www.penguinsunbound.com for directions and more
> > info.)
> >
> > Samba/CIFS
> >
> > Christopher R. Hertel will talk about Samba/CIFS.
> >
> > He wrote the book on it...
> >   http://ubiqx.org/cifs/
> >
> > I hope to see you there!
>
> Brian,
>
> Can you relay questions from the people not in attendance?
>
> "What can I do to get Samba 3.6.0 (Debian) to perform acceptably?"
>
> Context:  I have a workstation W (running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit)
> and a server S running Debian GNU/Linux 64 bit).  The workstation is a
> 6-core Xeon, the server is a 4-core i7, both with hyperthreading.  The
> workstation has 12GB of RAM, the server has 16.  The workstation has
> on-board dual Intel gigabit Ethernet controllers (with Jumbo frames
> enabled, IP checksum offload, TCP checksum offload, ...). The server
> has dual Marvell SysKonnect gigabit Ethernet controllers (with Jumbo
> frames enabled, IP checksum offload, TCP checksum offload, ...). They
> are connected via a Cisco SG300-10 managed gigabit switch with Jumbo
> frames enabled.
>
> I have installed a fresh copy of Debian wheezy (kernel 3.2.0, samba
> 3.6.0).  On the system hard drive (Samsung 1TB, 7200 RPM) I have created
> two logical volumes, formatted one with XFS (or ext4) and one exported
> through iSCSI.
>
> iperf with 128KB window on the Linux side and 1024KB window and 1024KB
> length of buffer to send determines the speed to be 801mbit/second.
>
> Importing the iSCSI partition on Windows, formatting it with NTFS,
> then copying 11GB (basically tarring up C:\Program Files using 7-zip,
> no compression) and monitoring the performance with 'dstat 5' on Linux
> produces a steady stream of network receives and disk writes at 75-79
> MBytes/second.
>
> Connecting the mounted filesystem that is exported via Samba and writing
> the same test file produces network receive rates that fluctuate between
> 21 MBytes/s and 51 MBytes/s (but clustered around 35-43 MBytes/s)
> The disk writes are also interesting, as they go between 2.5KBytes/s
> to 136MBytes/s.
>
> Other than the test, the boxes are completely idle.
>
> The only changes to the [global] section in smb.conf are:
>
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072
>    min receivefile size = 16384
>
> Thank you,
> florin

 With iSCSI, where is the filesystem management overhead?  Is the
filesystem overhead is on the client side with the server just receiving
low-level I/O operations that go straight to disk, whereas with CIFS the
server is having to handle mapping the I/O from the filesystem layer
through to hardware layer, causing it to be slower on it's responses
(ACKS)?  I've never worked with it myself... just curious.

-Rob