Rick Engebretson:

> I never have 30 tabs of anything open, but IceWM can spot a piggy
> website. Most window managers have a taskbar applet like top, but IceWM
> resource meter is simple and standard. Several resources can be
> monitored including CPU and network activity. Not only are some sites
> CPU and memory pigs, but they try do a lot of network snooping using
> RPC. And some colorful bars on the applet light up.

I stopped using gnome and started using xfce a few months ago.  I'll
have to check if IceWm and xfce can work together or if I would have to
switch to IceWM.   After posting and before reading the replies I thought
about something colorful that would light up when something was spiking.

> I usually start my browser with an XTerm, so my browser (SeaMonkey)
> leaves some helpful error messages. I'm sure a script could be invoked
> to tee and pipe StdErr. A decent browser should detect many such problems.

I'm not sure that would help even if Firefox did output something.  It's
kind of like top where I wouldn't notice it cause it would mostly be
under other windows.  I may need a bigger monitor.  Mine is 24",
but I've thought about getting a bigger one.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises