Justin Kremer:

> I don't know of anything quite like you describe, but could you just
> leave a terminal running top in the background for a while?  Top uses
> very small amounts of resources when left running in Linux. Or you
> could make a cron job to run a script that uses ps, searches for
> firefox processes and check their CPU usage...and e-mail you or
> something if it gets over 20% or so.

I don't pay attention to top if I leave it running all the time.
By the time I notice some lag, I've probably changed 10 of my
tabs to new websites and I'm not positive which one is eating
using up the resources.

> Conky or GKrellm might have a pretty GUI to show the same thing.  But
> beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
> Another rather different (and possibly undesirable) option is to
> temporarily switch to Chrome or Chromium and see if you still run into
> resource issues.  If you do, it creates a separate process for each
> tab, so you can more easily isolate which tab is misbehaving.  A
> couple downsides are that you would have to switch browsers and
> configure Chrome to your liking, and also Chrome tends to use more
> resources than Firefox because of its process isolation...the very
> thing that makes it desirable for debugging an issue like this.  It
> might be worth a shot, though.

I've thought about using Chrome, but haven't installed a recent
version.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises