I never have 30 tabs of anything open, but IceWM can spot a piggy
website. Most window managers have a taskbar applet like top, but IceWM
resource meter is simple and standard. Several resources can be
monitored including CPU and network activity. Not only are some sites
CPU and memory pigs, but they try do a lot of network snooping using
RPC. And some colorful bars on the applet light up.

I usually start my browser with an XTerm, so my browser (SeaMonkey)
leaves some helpful error messages. I'm sure a script could be invoked
to tee and pipe StdErr. A decent browser should detect many such problems.

Certainly not great detective work. Just something simple I like.

Yeah, crazy world.