Back when I worked with PAM and wrote a few custom modules, I mostly looked
at the RedHat documentation.

For more "custom" modules (e.g. pam_mysql) googling it and finding the
project page is a good way to find that documentation on what you can do
with it.

You can also use the 'man' command to lookup the man pages for them.  (e.g.
"man pam_unix" or "man pam_access" has helped me out quite a bit in the
past.)

Hope this helps!!

-Andrew